(02) 4577 4912
Unit 1, No.103 Railway Road (North) MULGRAVE NSW 2756
There are a few items that require special attention for 2nd storey additions and they include:
| || |
2nd storey additions require good organisation and access to a large carpentry team to ensure the waterproof stage is reached quickly, minimising the chance of leaks. 2nd storey additions are therefore not usually suitable to owner builders or smaller on-site working builder companies.
For second storey additions to work well the builder needs very detailed planning, a dedicated hard working team of carpenters, attention to detail and above all patience. If the weather looks bad the project needs to be delayed at the appropriate time to minimise any leaks. OMara is very experienced at the process of second storey additions.
After signing building contracts we will not commence work on-site for a couple of weeks until a large amount of materials have been delivered to site so that no delays occur waiting for materials. We usually start work on a Monday and the process will involve the following steps;
|1. Delivery of materials |
2. Relocation of aerial power service (if required)
3. Strip roof tiles / roof and dispose or store on site for reuse
4. Cut back roof timbers
5. Pack up wall frames and install floor joists
6. Install internal drainage for first floor bathrooms
7. Install new air-conditioning ducting as required
|8. Install new sheet flooring |
9. Install plastic membrane and specialised waterproof tarp
10. Crane up, stand frames & trusses using special fixing methods for 2nd storey additions to minimise leaks during rain
11. Install fascia & gutter
12. Install roof tiles
13. Fit windows & sark walls if necessary
At this stage the house is now waterproof and the chance of any leaks to the ground floor is greatly reduced. Only very minor leaks should now occur. We usually reach this waterproof stage within 15 a few weeks. If the project includes pitched rafters rather than trusses or metal roofing it may take longer to reach this stage. Extremely large additions can also take a bit longer but this time frame usually allows for a 2nd storey addition of around 12m x 8m, a typical size. O'Mara constructions has completed a number of first floor additions using standard construction and alternate building materials. Photographs and references can be supplied upon request.